Elder Merrill's Current Address

Elder Merrill's Current Address

Elder Nathaniel Merrill
Philippines Baguio Mission
PO Box 7 (po box for letters only)
Brgy: San Vicente East
Urdaneta City, Pangasinan 2428
Philippines

Monday, February 27, 2012

Getting Transferred!!

On transfer day I got mail. I got the package that you sent with Brother Sisk, make sure to thank him for me. I haven't gotten the other package yet, but I am pretty sure you said you've sent one.
Dad asked questions about temperature and weather in Agoo. It's hot. Ok.. so it's not that hot, but I hear it will be. The temperature isn't too bad, but there is always a fan on when we are in the apartment. We always wear short sleeves, but up in Baguio some missionaries have long sleeves, and at Zone conference some even had suits. Although I doubt they wear the suits proselyting, it's probably just for show at the zone conference, but it shows that it is possible. You can get nice suits made in the Philippines, I hear a lot of Elders have them made and then wear them home. The Baguio missionaries that wore suits all had new suits made, not the ones they brought on their missions. You would never want to wear a suit in Agoo though. In Agoo I would always sleep with a fan on. And for a blanket I used the flat sheet. If you sleep without the fan, it is super hot and you would sweat a lot in your sleep.
Guess what I got transferred. Just kidding I am still in Agoo. Before my new companion came, on Friday (transfer day), I got to work with Elder Harrison. Both of our companions were transferring and he is in Agoo 1st branch so we worked together that day until our new companions came. Elder Harrison is my batch. That means he went through the MTC with me, he has been in the mission the same time as me. That is the first time I have worked with an American missionary who hasn't been here for at least a year. It was a good day nonetheless, we were still able to work well despite our obvious lackings in language skills. Elder Tolman got transfered, and I hear he became a zone leader. Before he left he was 100% sure I was going to get a Filipino companion. I also knew that I was going to get a Filipino companion after having an American for two transfers. It turns out that the Lord knew some things that neither I or Elder Tolman did. The Lord knew that my new companion was Elder Fraser. Elder Fraser is from Washington state, and I am his first American companion ever. He is about 20 months out and has spent most of his mission training or followup training, so he is very used to working with newer missionaries. He was in Mangaldan before coming here. He is also the District leader so I will get to go on a lot of exchanges. Also in Agoo zone there are some new Americans that came in. Which means... I am no longer the youngest American in Agoo zone. Although I am in my 3rd transfer, there are two new first transfer Americans in Agoo zone. Actually both of them will be in my district too. I also learned that there is a lot less in Agoo zone than other zones. Most zones have at least one grocery store. Agoo city is the biggest City in the zone and it has no grocery store. Elder Fraser was a little disappointed. I believe there are 3 malls in our mission, in Dagupan City, Baguio and Rosario, and Elder Fraser has usually been close to them. On Saturday in Agoo, there was a huge fire in our Area. It was on the very North side of our area, we actually didn't know for sure if it was in our area until Sunday when we worked near were it had been, but there were 7 firetrucks that came to put it out. We could see it from our house, and even further away. The fire caused a brown out Saturday night as well. A brown out is a black out, but in the Philippines the color is brown instead. It was dark, so on our way home Elder Fraser and I bought some candles to use for our apartment. All in all, it's been a good first few days of this transfer. I really like my companion Elder Fraser, I think we will help a lot of good things happen in Agoo. I am excited for this upcoming transfer.
Good luck to you all and have a wonderful week,

Elder Nathaniel J. Merrill

No comments:

Post a Comment