Elder Merrill's Current Address

Elder Merrill's Current Address

Elder Nathaniel Merrill
Philippines Baguio Mission
PO Box 7 (po box for letters only)
Brgy: San Vicente East
Urdaneta City, Pangasinan 2428
Philippines

Sunday, November 11, 2012

A lot of things happened this week.    The picture is from last week and is me with Elder Sta.Ana and Elder De Jesus.  We got to go to Urdaneta for New Missionary Training.  That was pretty exciting.  It is always good to get to talk to President Monahan.  He is an amazing missionary.
   This week there was one interesting experience that I would like to highlight.  We went and taught a Sister that has really only recently become less active.  The first thing I noticed was that the whole atmosphere at the house is different than the first time I ever went there.  The Spirit is pretty much gone.  It just had a different feeling.  It has been about 2 months since she came to church.  I asked her the question ' what changes have you noticed in your life since you stopped going to church' she said none.  I then pointed out to her what I noticed.  The negative changes I could see in her, and about the atmosphere change in her home.  She told me 'Elder that is just probably because you had the Spirit with you back then, but there wasn't really more Spirit in my home.'  She then insisted that she was happier now.  I asked her when the last time she smiled was... and I pointed out that until today I've never seen her without a smile on her face.  We taught her a short lesson and brought the Spirit into her home.  After we finished she finally started to understand.  She said "Elder earlier you asked me what changed while now I know.'   And then she started talking about how she has started swearing again, and how it's harder to resist temptation and many other things that has happened since she stopped coming to church.  She reminded me of the statement of Nephi that people are carefully led to hell.  She didn't even notice these negative changes until we pointed them out, and she even at first refused to admit those negative changes that had happened.  It was a very interesting experience.  Sometimes the easiest time to see the blessings of the Gospel is when you see the effect of their departure.  On the up side she said she wants to come back.
I am sorry this is a short letter.  There are many more happier experiences as well, but this one is the most instructive.

--
Have a good week, keep your head up, and smile.
                                                                          Elder Nathaniel J. Merrill

No comments:

Post a Comment