Elder Merrill's Current Address

Elder Merrill's Current Address

Elder Nathaniel Merrill
Philippines Baguio Mission
PO Box 7 (po box for letters only)
Brgy: San Vicente East
Urdaneta City, Pangasinan 2428
Philippines

Sunday, September 16, 2012

This week a general authority came to our mission.  I think I already mentioned that he would come, but Elder Ian S. Ardern of the Seventy came.  He is awesome.  
He is such a good speaker and such a funny guy.  He is in the Presidency of the Philippines area. (The President is Micheal John U. Teh, who happens to be the youngest general authority in the church.)  Elder Ardern is from New Zealand and is really cool.  One of the things that he did was to pick 3 random missionaries to give spiritual thoughts.  He announced that he was going to choose a few missionaries to give a scripture and then points to me and says how about this missionary here, with the blue tie.  Well I was sitting in the front and center so I guess that is what I get.  I went up and stood next to Elder Ardern and just talked to him for a few minutes.  Even though we were standing at the pulpit we were just talking, he asked my name and few other things.  Then he told me to share my scripture and expound it for the other missionaries. I chose Mosiah 15:7 and I focused on the idea that we need to let our wills be swallowed up in the will of the Father.  I talked about what that meant and how we could do it and so forth for a few minutes, then Elder Ardern stood back up, further expounded my scripture and my ideas.  Then he asked me a few more questions about how I do missionary work.  He also had me quote 1 Nephi 3:7, which he used as an example of someone whose will was 'swallowed up' by the will of the Father. (I was glad I was able to quote that.)  Then I was done and he called another missionary.  Later in different talks by Sister Ardern and President Monahan they referenced my scripture as well.  
              It was a good Tri-zone conference.  It was in Dagupan City which is super crowded.  I don't really want to be assigned over there.  I hear it's really bad when it rains as well.  The rainy season is still going on, although it hasn't rained in about 3 days.  It lasts until December and the biggest Baguios they say are often in Septmeber, but it's been a pretty quite month so far.  This week most of our progressing investigators did not come to church.  The ones who usually come didn't.  But we had this one part member family come that no one thought would come.  Their house is the second furthest house I have taught at in this area.  It is about as far away as you can get and still be in this ward.  They are in an area called Aplaya, that we only go to once a week.  We went to them once, and they came to church.  I was way excited to see them at church.  Our ward here does a great job at fellowshipping people that show up, it's great.  Everyone just loves the newcomer.  I don't really have any time left so that's all I can really say right now. 
        There is a chance me or my companion may transfer this week, we don't know yet but the transfer day is Friday so I may have a new companion or area next week.  We shall see.   

--
Have a good week, keep your head up, and smile.
                              
                                             Elder Nathaniel J. Merrill

No comments:

Post a Comment